inspire . create . love . simplify . connect



Tuesday, January 25, 2011

my veggie life

let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food.
-hippocrates, the father of western medicine, 460-377 bc

nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution of a vegetarian diet.
-albert einstein


being a vegetarian has been extremely rewarding for me.  i honestly love it and i am very proud of my decision to go meatless for over five years now.  in the beginning it was a little strange and i still have times where it is a little bit of an issue.  i don't have an issue, but other people seem to take offense to my choice (even though it has nothing to do with anyone but me).  i am not dwelling on the negative, because my veggie life has been very satisfying and has opened my mind to so many amazing foods and most importantly, i feel great. 

i am always a vegetarian, but i do go through stages where i am a very strict vegan.  i would love to stick with that way of life, but sometimes life and will power don't allow me to follow my lifestyle.  so, along with  my running and getting ready for summer i am going to get myself back on track.  i have read lots of books, but my two favorites are skinny bitch and the kind diet.  if you are at all interested in learning more about becoming a vegan or you just want some amazing meatless recipes, these two books are a must and don't be afraid of the skinny bitch title.  the book is hilarious and very informative all at the same time.

i choose to be vegetarian, but i don't expect my husband and children to just because i am.  i want them to make their own choices and learn about being healthy and the importance of choosing healthier organic options.  if they choose to go meatless that is entirely up to them=)  i don't cook a whole lot of meat in my home and i am very lucky to have a husband who will eat whatever i make and love it. 

here i go on my path of health and feeling good (and fitting back into my clothes). 
cheers to health and happiness.
xo

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about the book, "The Kind Diet" the other day...I think that is one I need to pick up-it just won't leave me alone.

    I'm so with you on this healthier life-style thing...and to fitting back into my clothes, oh, how nice that would be! I just started my own little healthy eating plan yesterday--it felt so good to have a whole day of conscious eating.

    Here we go! Yay for us!

    Sending love to you, kelley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photos!!!! Are all these yours??? You really have such an eye.

    Can I just tell you how much I admire your will power. To be totally vegetarian -- I don't think I could do it! But, I will say, I am seriously trying to revamp my eating habits -- no white anything, vegetables, fruits, meat sparingly, and whole grains. Nothing processed. I feel so much better. Maybe I'll become a vegetarian yet. :)

    ReplyDelete

your comments make my day...i love hearing from you...please say hello...